Monday, December 28, 2009

I Have Arrived, Is This Where I Was Going?

I Have Arrived
by Natasha Josefowitz, Ph.D.

I have not seen the plays in town
only computer printouts
I have not read the latest books
only the Wall Street Journal
I have not heard birds sing this year
only the ringing of phones
I have not taken a walk anywhere
but from the parking lot to my office
I have not shared a feeling in years
but my thoughts are known to all
I have not listened to my own needs
but what I want I get
I have not shed a tear in ages
I have arrived
is this where I was going?


This poem was written a quarter of a century ago when I was working fulltime. By last year I felt I had arrived with my husband, living in a retirement community, having nothing left undone or unsaid. Four months ago, my husband died and I’m back in the wilderness trying to morph myself into a single person with no destination in sight.







No comments:

Post a Comment